Saturday, March 21, 2009

An update

The past week went by really slowly for me. A lot seemed to happen, and somehow, without playing I think I leveled up at Baduk

This post will be in several sections.

Romance
Last Wednesday I went to Itaewon, and met this girl. We stayed up all night hanging out at bars and coffee shops talking to each other. She invited me to go dancing with her on Saturday night. The problem was that she finished her job (she is a bouncer) at 5am. It was not a problem because she set me up with some her friends, and I had fun. I spent very little time with her, but I got a weird feeling when I left. I couldn't stop thinking about her for 2 days.

Finally when she responded to my text on Tuesday saying that she did not want to hang out with me, I felt fine. It was really the not knowing that was killing me. What an idiot I was ^__^.


Friends/Family

On Sunday night, my friend and I were coming home from the International Baduk Academy when some guy on the street invited us out for drinks. We did not know him, but we went along. Keep in mind while reading this, Korea is generally a very safe place, so we were not in much danger going with a stranger.

We went to this place called WABar, and after the second beer it was becoming very clear that this guy was a little silly. He could not keep our basic information, Name age and nationality in his head at all. He asked us this information ~27 times. Somehow we felt uncomfortable to just leave considering he was being pretty gracious treating us. I looked around the bar, I caught someones eye and gave a "please come here if you speak English and help us out" look.

He and his friend came over and suddenly it was starting to be fun. They helped us understand each other. Those guys are Eric, and Pino (Nicknames). After finishing at the bar we went to some other place for more drinks and food, and at 1 am, we went home.

Alright, I caught Eric and Pino!! * Peace Sign*

---

I talked on skype with my family this week, it was really nice. I had not realized how much I missed them.

---

My friend Roman went to Ireland all of a sudden. Fly friend fly.


Work/Students

I finally got some English students, two girls who saw my flier in front of their music studio. So far I have met with them a few times. One of the girls, Rachel, only wants to practice speaking, so its pretty nice. I just have to think of a topic, and some questions, and then talk. Its pretty awesome, since it was just talking, we went to Olympic Park. We had our lesson laying in the grass.

The other one, Ju Hae, wants my full lessons. I am teaching her English using The Little Prince. During class we practice speech by talking about different things from the book. At home she reads and writes a paper. In class I correct grammar, and discuss.

---

On the other hand, lots of visits but low income from Google...

Health

I am generally ok, but somehow I got sick, and stayed in bed for three days. It kind of sucked, mainly because I was always hungry, and it threw off my sleeping schedule.

and the best for last....

Baduk

This week i really did not play much at all. Maybe I played 15 games this week. Two interesting things did happen though....

I participated in KGS's Iron Man tournament, 20 rounds of Go. I had pretty crummy results, and I skipped many rounds. I beat the weaker players and lost to the stronger ones, and the one "even" game I had, I lost as well. My friends did pretty well, they remained in the top 5 but messed up in the last day finishing 13th, and 20th. Anyway all week, we were dropping whatever we were doing and running off to the computer at 10 am, 4 pm, and 10 pm. It was pretty fun, next time, I will actually try and win.

---

Somehow I managed to improve in the past week. Maybe a lot of bed rest did it for me. Even though In the end I lost, here is a partial game record against my teacher on 7 stones. (BTW, he said I improved a lot --1.5 stones-- not I.)There is no commentary, just a record




And next week I am off to Japan Woot Woot ^___^

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, that's a long week. For me this week went by quickly. My mom's traveling is low, so I'm in school more (instead of the home school program). But with all the kids pulling fire alarms and bomb threats, it makes school interesting and.....well the point is my weeks go by quickly. But Korea sounds like fun!

Maronchan said...

Hey!
How come you are going to Japan? O.o
But you are coming back aren't you? Visa-change?
Concerning the advertisements .. same..
But it's really great that you got some students ^^ I'm sure you'll be the most popular private teacher around Myeongil :P
Bye~