Saturday, March 14, 2009

DragonBall Rant warning, SPOILER!!!

How can you take 16 volumes of a wonderful Manga like Dragonball, and turn it into a 100 minute movie, while preserving its charm, multitude of characters, and awesome action scenes? I don't know, and I did not find out today. So as an adaptation of a beloved manga, it fails. As a stand alone movie, it fails. But, somehow, if you go into with the mindset that its just for fun, and based on Dragonball, but not the same thing, then its pretty fun.

Lets get into it then.

The very first thing I noticed from the commercials was the title. DragonBall Evolution. WTF? Did we have a first one from it to evolve from? Are the planning to release a DragonBall The Beginning later on? Or did I maybe miss altogether a first movie? I do not know the answer, but I apparently did not miss any movie. Really too many movies use the word evolution in their titles, there are so many other words that you can use from the English language. Personally I think the following words should be banned from movie titles all together: Evolution, Origins, Legends, The beginning, the last stand. I am sure there are a few more, but that's all I can think of at the moment. Also, whats wrong with just DragonBall? Is it not edgy enough?

The other thing that bugged me was that the whole mythology was lost. Since when did the "Evil Namekians" control the Oozaru? Why does the Oozaru only come about on eclipses, why is Goku 18 when Grandpa Gohan dies? Why does Muten Roshi not bleed from his nose? Where is Krillin, what about the random talking pigs and flying cats?!!?....Whew...I ll leave that alone

That stuff can be forgiven, if the Movie could stand alone as its own story, but it never develops its characters. So much relies on the audience having read the manga. Chi Chi (sorry) goes from being the "Bully's" girlfriend, to Goku's lover/partner/Girlfriend/Fiance (never clarified, generally a vague relationship with a few kisses) within 10 minutes in the movie. Please note that there where no long time lapses, and maybe 5 hours took place in the movie between this.

Bulma and Yamcha exchange three sentences before falling for each other and almost making out. Neither character is really developed at all. No history on Yamcha, and just a vague mention of capsule corp for Bulma.

Piccolo kind of sucks too. Very little screen time, and no cool attacks, just some generic red ki blasts. (Although in goku's Visions --he gets them by touching the dragonballs--we see him dropping a Ki blast that leaves a mushroom cloud) Anyway, no history, just I want vengeance, and that's all, Humans must die.

Well, I think I lost my desire to keep writing.

To be fair, It was fun because you can laugh at it, It keeps some of the Comedy from the original manga, and the fight scenes are pretty cool. I think if you took out all the romance, and had more fight scenes it would have been better.

Or better yet, just fight scenes and training montages would have been cool, screw the story, you can't fit it into 100 minutes anyway!

Its about a 5/10 in my opinion, check it out but don't expect much.

No comments: