Saturday, March 28, 2009

Playing Go In Japan

I have managed to increase my playing strength to 3d!

All that I had to do was fly from Korea to Japan, and Presto Change-oh! I am now a 3d. (I will likely go back to being 3kyu once I am in Korea)

While I am in Japan, I am living ten minutes from Shibuya station. It is one of the trendiest, and youngest areas in Tokyo.

Michael Simon and Kanako graciously are letting me stay in their guest room while I am in Tokyo. They are wonderful people, with so many interesting stories to tell. Kanako is a former model, and Michael, well he has done everything: Bike mechanic, Go Club Manager, "Lead Bassist" in a rock band...everything.

So far we played 2 games, and its one win each. Here is the first game we played. I did not comment on it, please I welcome all criticism.



Michael is about AGA 5d, and 6d at the club where we went to play. He is part of a group called Igo-Mame which roughly means Go-0ften. They meet at the Shibuya club every now and then, and go out for dinner afterwards.

The Igo-mame group was really nice. The characters included Yata-sensei 6d, a pediatrician. A young guy with a really runny nose, who was really good at sudoku like puzzles, 1d. Moo-san, a 6d, and also this nice guy with a big belly, 1d. I was a guest, and also there happened to be an American, John Thek 4d, playing there as well.

...On a Side Note...

With the exception of Michael Simon, the Igo-mame group are all Manga-otaku we had a lot of fun at dinner and Karaoke talking about various manga. It was really fun for me to talk to an adult about manga. At karaoke we sang a few anime themes, sailing day, Crazy rainbow, Hit In America, and the Neon Genesis Evangelion theme.

I loved the Igo-mame group, somehow I fit in really well in Japan so far.

... Back to Go...

I played 7 games today and won 3. One of the lost games was within one point, one was lost in the endgame, and two were just to awful to discuss.

Yata-sensei, Moo-san, Big belly, Runny nose, a random player and I all played a game of 9x9 rengo together. I can't recall it right now but I will post it later

The club that we played at is quite famous actually...

Many people have read Hikaru No Go, and clearly remember when Hikaru goes to play with old smoking men to overcome his fear of Gojira-Beard san. Unfortunately that location no longer exists, but the club moved to a smaller place, which I had the pleasure of visiting.

The owner is clearly recognizable from the manga (sorry I forgot to get a picture of him T_T), and I even think I saw someone resembling Kawaii-san.

Here are a few photos I took at the club, Enjoi!

Igo Mame, Right to left, Runny Nose, Big Belly, Yata Sensei.


People playing


Old guys at play


Club members names on little wooden things


Round all around

2 comments:

Maronchan said...

Hey!

Well if you are still in Japan than good I didn't call you yesterday while I was at Myeongil -.-
Hehe..like the round all around photo a lot :P He really has a nice beer-belly :D
It seems like really fun there.. toobad when I was in Japan I couldn't really visit any go-clubs .. -.-
Anyways,enjoy your trip - but don't forget to come back to Korea ;)
Bye

FrankMayhem said...

man that is so sweet. really lucky on your part. enjoy the rest of your time there!