Sunday, April 12, 2009

Chunpyeong Baduk English Weekend

On Saturday morning Tatu (Finnish 2d) and I left our houses early. I suppose it wasn't early, but we sleep late, so 10 o'clock was a relatively early for us.

We were supposed to meet our teacher 중협 (Joung Hyup) at 11 and go to the Chunpyeong river training area.


Joung Hyup

In the country side along a river there is a place where baduk players come to play. The owner of the place is about 2d, he has a large collection of baduk boards and often invites pros to come and play at his, lets say, club.

Shortly after getting there we played some card games.  I became tired of the game and went off to explore.


Playing Cards


Smelling Flowers


Old style building


Land Scape


I walked around the property until I found a dog, it seemed to want me to follow it. I did so, but I quickly lost site of it, however I found to mating snakes.  After observing them for a little while, I walked around in the woods for a while.  It was really nice to have a break from the city...



Meat

There was a family fishing on the river, and they invited me to join them, failing to catch anything, we got to talking.  One of the men was  a baduk player.  He asked me to play so we went back to the playing area. 

After we played a game, a tournament started.  I lost all two of my games, by 130 points and 54 points.  It was a bangnegi style tournament, but with no limit, meaning you were not allowed to resign even if you lost by 100.  In my defense, I had to play with a 2d and a 3d even....

Dinner was yummy, we ate barbeque.  Baduk playing continued well into the morning, and I fell asleep and woke up to the sounds of stones being placed on the board.

The following day was short, I had to get back to Seoul to teach my student.





Bus From the Netherlands


Proffesor Han, Incredibly insiteful man


Katherine From Belgium


My lovely face


Bus at play


Hae Kwang observing a game


Proffesor Han Playing


4 comments:

Erika said...

Hey Borris!

It's great to see you doing something you enjoy so much! I'm really glad to hear you're doing well. That dog's color is so lovely! Go find it and take more pictures! -3-

White Meeple said...

hey, where are the goog ads?
nice adventure.

ciao

Anonymous said...

It's indeed an adventurous event you stated in this post. Baduk is my favorite one game. Whenever I hear about the game, I try to go and join. Here the river side description, playing. family fishing, cards playing- everything you shared was incredibly charming and joyous. I enjoyed the entire natural and gaming environment. Thanks for sharing. Here i feel a temptation to share my favorite baduk varification site 바둑이사이트. Expect it will be useful for many of us here.

Soo Yun said...

Ahh! What a family-friendly environment. The surroundings also looks so charming and classy. I like this type of entertaining event. With a such team any type of game can produce huge recreational source. Simply love it.바둑이사이트