Monday, February 16, 2009

I get by with a little help from my friends....

I set out to Korea to study baduk (go wei chi) It was also supposed to be the start of my adventures in the world. Its been 6 weeks since I got here.

What have I done so far? Sure I studied baduk daily but why have i dropped down to 5kyu on kgs? Where have I traveled?

Well honestly I do think I have gotten stronger at baduk, but I am not satisfied with the games i have been playing. I have developed a stupid habit of relaxing in endagame and following my teachers aroudn the board, just responding to their moves.

So for three weeks i studied diligently, and went up a stone.

I have encountered some relationship problems, namely the end of one. This unfortunatly is not a pleasant process and required proper dealing with. So for three weeks, I have not ben able to concentrate on important things, and I ended up sick.

Those three weeks were not wasted. I made some new friends, and genuinly experienced the Korean lifestyle, that is to say during the day do what you have to do (which i didnt but pretended to >__>) and at night play PC games, or drink.

That is what happens here. Work all week to drink on the weekends. It was fun for me because its not my usual, but I cant see myself living this way.

Anyway I started studying hard again. A friend reminded me to play just because playing is fun... No need to worry about stuff like improving. Another friend reminded me to do what i came here to do, and not worry about other things....

These past two days i have been playing games that I really enjoyed. I have a bet going with one guy best out 15, wins a pizza..

A few days were my style... Ill write about them soon...


A friend's Goban, my hat, her bag

3 comments:

Wasiqi said...

I'm very sorry to hear of your difficulties. I hope things work out for you in the end.

Go Stoodent said...

Hey Joseph No worries man, all is well now, I am studying again, and enjoying it all. Btw how do I know you? (Do I?)

Wasiqi said...

I don't think we've ever met. We just seem to share a passion for Go.
I play mostly on KGS, so maybe I can play you sometime.