Saturday, February 21, 2009

Graduation at Myongj University

Myongji University.

MU is a school in Korea, it is unique in that it is the only school in the world that offers a Masters and a Bachelors degree in Baduk Studies (Go studies)

The Baduk department was started in 1997, and has provided many yonguseng (Korean Insei) an opportunity to get a college degree. (Generally yonguseng don't have a chance to study in high school, as they devote all of their time to Baduk. When it comes time to get into University it is difficult) Myongji's classes teach them "how" to teach. Also about how to teach abroad. For weaker players they offer theory and technique classes. Most of the students are quite strong though (7d) This school accepts players of all strengths 18 kyu- 9 dan Pro.

I was considering to go to this school before I found out about the IBA. I still would like to go, but I have to learn Korean better. We came late to my friends graduation (she almost missed it) but it all turned out OK. We walked in just as it was ending, we got to miss all the boring stuff.



Diana Koszegi

Diana (Dia) is a professional Baduk player. She is one of the few westerners to ever make it pro. She grew up in Hungary, and learned Baduk from her father (2d) and helped him teach at his go classes. Last year after making it to 2nd class yonguseng (out of 5) the Hanguk Kiwon promoted her to Pro. This was not undeserved, as she proceeded to defeat her first opponent (8p)

Anyway this Wednesday she graduated from Myongji University, I followed her around as a photographer sort of... Anyway here are some pictures.


Apidet (Mod) and Dia not noticing the Camera


Dia and Mod posing looking happy


I gave her that hammer as a Graduation Gift


Dia, and Mod receiving their diplomas


Professor Chihyung Nam.
This was my first time meeting her.
She gave me the impression that she is very nice.
She also seems to be a very strong woman.
I got some free Baduk books from her, *yay* ^__^


Hey Look Simon and I graduated Myongji...
Anyway just a bunch of people that came to say thank you to Professor nam


Lee DoYun (right with the peace sign)
Lee Chang Ho's girlfriend graduated last Wednesday too
Unfortunately he was not there, so I could not meet him.




Ji Young another one of my teachers, she came to celebrate Dia too.
Nandor is a Serbian 1d, he is a cool guy currently studies at Myongji
Professor Nam


Simon Sleeping on the ride back from Myongji

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool, maybe I'll go there (I'm still young and still in the 10th grade I got a lot a head of me). Anyway I read your earlier post. You drink? My mom would kill me. Anyway I went to a Go camp for 3 weeks and it's really different being away isn't it? At the Go camp my roommate, other campers, and I stayed up till midnight drinking (soda) and eating noodles we stole from the kitchen. It was hard getting up for lessons, but somehow we made it by. My rank went up and down while at camp. So....yeah....that'll happen....alot.

Also.....I'm Jesy.

Go Stoodent said...

Hey Jesy, I know who you are ^___^

yes i Drink, but keep in mind I am a bit older than you . ^__^

Let me know if you are interested in coming to visit the academy where I am studying, I would talk to the headmaster to see what discounts I could get you.

Wasiqi said...

Looks like a cool school. Congrats to the grads.