Tuesday, February 24, 2009

BC Card Cup and an Annoying Problem

BC Card Cup

(Also in case you are wondering what the BC Card is, here is a commercial...)

Try to solve this problem before moving on, you are supposed to capture the marked stone (Q2).



From SGF/games





I had forgotten all about the BC cup, but when my friend jeered me about not going to baduk events, I suddenly remembered it. I checked to see when it was and woah and behold it was the next day. (This happened yesterday) After trying to solve a certian go problem for about 30 minutes I gave up and went to sleep

This morning I woke up nice and early, (9:45) and set out to the Hanguk Kiwon. On the train I continued to try and solve the problem, but was not successful. I even enlisted the help of some 2d ajishi I happened to meet on the train this morining.

After getting of the train, I was not sure where to go. A nice police man helped me out.

The Hanguk Kiwon was surprisingly empty, apperently I arrived 3 hours early. I wandered around a bit and in the end decided to give the problem another shot. Again after playing it out on the board a man came over and we started to try and solve it together. We had no luck.

I moved to a new spot, and decided to skip the problem and move on the next one. As time passed by a nice man sat down next to me and we started to talk. His name Jang Myeonghan (4p) His english was quite good so we were able to talk. He told me that he was planning on visiting New York sometime, and asked for my contact info. I was embarresed, not having a business card, so I ran to a PC Bang and made some simple paper ones. (Better than nothing I guess?)


Jang Myeonghan 4P




The tournament would be starting soon, so he had to go, but not before I showed him that pesky problem. Try as I might I could not capture that stone, he glanced at it and solved it. The solution is at the bottom.


At the actual tournament I was only allowed to spend about 10 minutes taking pictures.

It was an interesting thing that happened. Before the games started everyone was relaxing in their own ways, meditating, talking to friends, laughing. There was nothing that special going one, but once the anouncment for the games to begin was made the air became heavy. Maybe it was in my head, but I found it difficult to breathe, it felt as if I was in a steam room (not as hot or humid though)

I took as many photos as time permitted. Sorry if they arent the best quality.


from 2-22-09




From 2-22-09




From 2-22-09






From 2-22-09





From 2-22-09





From 2-22-09






Solution:
He said connecting is good enough. so here is the solution. In a game it is likely white would not play 30, and just tenuki; so for all of those who, like me, loathe that little marked stone, you can go ahead and ignore whites 30 (presumably elsewhere) and capture it.....


From SGF/games

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The truth, I couldn't solve it, I gave up after 3min (plus I had to get to class, right now it's my lunch period). Anyway it sounds like you're having fun! Hahah you did a peace sign, that's cool! Everyone's been doing that now (except my English teacher who does a thumbs up instead). But I wish I could be at that tournament, I bet I could beat everyone!

R.Kudryashov said...

How did you get from the first diagram to the second?

Go Stoodent said...

roman, the numbers in the second diagram indicate the progression of moves. Starting with 25. (25 instead of 1)

R.Kudryashov said...

I understand that, but the first problem seems to be a different scenario than the second diagram.

Anonymous said...

stupid. buttons on your sleeves are crooked and you skipped a button.

tchan001 said...

so how does the solution "capture the marked stone (Q2)."

I don't see the solution diagram achieving the objective.

Go Stoodent said...

Hey so the pro explained that for the problem it is enough just to connect the separated stones.

Also the white doesnt have to play the last move (its really small) black can go ahead and take the marked stone..^_^

Lee said...

why doesn't w play N3 in response?

Anonymous said...

I was able to solve this in few seconds (I see similar problem before). Is this good? :3