Sunday, September 6, 2009

State of my go

I went to Korea for 6 months. It changed me in many ways. But it seems sometimes that my go hasn't improved much.

I am probably about 1kyu these days, but to be honest, I feel so incredibly weak.

After getting back to the states I took a break for a while from playing. My mind was in disarray because of a mess I made in my life. This translated onto the Goban.

Recently, well in the past 3 weeks, I have started to get those things sorted out. So I started studying and playing again. I really only took a break of just under a month, but its made big difference in my ability to learn. At least in my mindset.

Vincent Liu 6d is my current teacher. To this point we have only had one lesson -- during which he said that I wasted my time in Korea because I obviously don't know how to play. So... with this thought in mind I decided to re-learn how to play. I have studying Janice Kim's learn to play go series so that I can get a refresher on the rules/basics. I have to say I think I am seeing results. Shapes and Aji are just so important.

I hope once I relearn the basics I will be able to grow stronger. I don't want to be one of those eternal shodans...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. I went to study in China for a month but when I came back for the AGA camp, it seemed as if everyone 7k and above could beat me. My games were so horrible at camp that my teacher made me do push ups, sent me to the corner (twice), and one time he even made me do a lap around the college campus! But at the Go Congress I made some huge improvement. Maybe it was just one of those time where you lose many games, but will get up there eventually. I am right now a 6k, maybe stronger. But don't give up, study, study, study......If only I could apply that concept to school T-T.