Saturday, June 27, 2009

New Instructors At the New York Go Center.

The New York Go Center's main selling point is that we always have a strong instructor ready to teach visitors. But what happens when the instructors are not so strong. Before I came to Korea I noticed that often, although stronger than me, the Instructors where not all that strong. Although there were a few great ones, like Hyodo Shunichi, Hyodo Susumu, and Tadashi Komoto, who could teach, and play well, many seemed to be lacking in the play well area.

On a side note I will be working on a little project to collect a photo book of the previous instructors at the New York Go Center.

The other thing I realized is that they were always Japanese.

Neither the fact that they are Japanese, nor that they aren't too strong are problems. After all, they are volunteering 3 months of their time for the sake of providing a good chance for us westerners to study Go. Still, I thought it would be interesting if we could get some young teachers to come to the NYGC. I found the perfect solution on my trip to Korea. Hundreds of strong teenagers fail to become pro yearly. Their main skill is Baduk, so I decided to introduce the opportunity to come and teach in New York for 3 months.

So, I would like to announce, although rather late, that two new instructors are coming to visit the New York Go Center on June 30th. They are Kim Chaelim 9d and Lee Hyangmi 7d.

The two girls are students at Myongji University and have volunteered to teah Baduk for the summer in New York. Remember they are Korean not Japanese, so instead of sensei, refer to them as Sabonim, (Sa-bo-nim)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How long will they be in NY? For the whole summer, like June-Aug? Do they speak English? That would be so cool! If there staying till Aug. then they could attend the Go Congress. But besides all of that, I bet they are excited to be going to NY. Another thing, SCHOOL IS OUT! SUMMER IS HERE! YESSSSSSS!