Monday, May 11, 2009

Racism in Korea

There is a great deal of racism in Korea.

Although there is quite a lack of diversity, almost everybody is racist.  Maybe its because of lack...

Most people I meet seem to love simply for the fact that I am a foreigner.  Now maybe this is not a bad thing, but it seems strange to me.  Coming from New York, I see all people as just people.  Although when I worked at Diesel, I often segued into conversation with someone by talking about their country.  To Brazilians I would tell them how many I meet, maybe mention Capoeira.  To russians I spoke russian, to French I spoke the little french I know.  I would praise the pound to Brits.  I would mention my upcoming trip to Korea to Koreans, and talk about anime/manga with Japanese...

I seem to have digressed.  

In Korea, as I walk down the street and a group of kids walk by they shout out very quickly all the words they know.  Hello --  how are you -- yo yo yo -- thank you -- I love you -- bye bye.  

The other weekend I went to a festival at Myongji University (The only school in the world where you can get a Masters in Baduk studies)   I was not allowed to pay for my drinks my food, and was even invited by these nice 4 girls to share their room. 


The Nice Girls who let me into their room


If I was Korean this would not have happened.

Another wierd thing, is that most Koreans I meet are all scared of going to America because they might get shot.  I realize that it is an unfortunate truth that there is much gunplay in the USA, but it seems that all they know about America is 

A. It is good
B. People have guns
C. People do drugs.

I wonder is this what our country is?  I really don't know.  Europeans I meet just think we suck at geography and history.  Actually this group of Go players from Kings Baduk Academy (more on that later, if you are interested now, visit http://www.stopciovo.com ) and I played a geography game -- naming capital cities -- I got the high honor of being "Good for an American.


Some of the Kings Baduk guys.


I get taken out all the time by Go players, and sometimes by strangers I meet on the street.  Although, I sound like I am complaining, I am not, I am greatful for all the free food I have eaten since coming to Korea, and I have met some interesting people.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now bad racism.... Really really bad.  This would never fly in the states.  It reminds me of early Disney cartoons.


Mr. Ink.



Look its an African.


Mr.Toner
EDIT:

I forgot to mention a few things, my friend reminded me...

Alexa:
though by racism I would have wrote about a little different things as I'm not from the usa  
Me:
 what do you mean?
Alexa:
 well, for me it's also very annoying that everybody thinks i can only be an american  
 if by chance not, than russian
 nothing else is possible  
Me:
 ah right i coudl have mentioned that, but i am both...
 so they would be right on both accounts  
Alexa:
 not to mention that they just point at u and talk about u in korean when u r like half a meter away, because they think no way a foreigner can understand them..  
 yes i know, thats why i wrote i would have wrote this too  


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

eerr... I totally didn't get this. You say there is racism and then you present many examples of exactly the opposite. You even made me lookup the word and indeed most sources describe it as a negative thing. Could you elaborate?

Anonymous said...

OK, it think I see it now, it took me some time to realize how someone could be offended. I guess my mind is really not wired that way. I wouldn't mind if I saw for example a cute scandinavian-looking Mr. Chalk, while walking somewhere in Congo.
Could you be mistaken? May be they just do not realize the offense either?

Go Stoodent said...

Well, I dont find it offensive, but others I have spoken to find it somehow annoying. It is sort of racist, to like someone just because they are American etc.

Maybe I am using the word wrongly...

Anonymous said...

I think you mean a great deal of stereotyping. Rascism is when its intentionally harmfull. Its the same between mr congo and going to america and getting shot as here it is that most asians are really smart and good at math or that russians are heavy drinkers.

Go Stoodent said...

I see your point, I guess I misspoke, but the main reason I used to word was for dramatic effect.

The word Racism aside, everything else is true...

Btw, Who are you?

goki said...

Sorry about not introducing myself, the first two comments are by goki, the third Anonymous is someone else. I'm very interested in your experience in Korea, thanks for sharing.

Go Stoodent said...

Hey goki, Do i know you, or are you just following my blog, nice to meet you.

Erica said...

Ehhh if some kids tried to make fun of me by saying hello I'd just simply speak spanish >.>

Even in the states my family members down South don't dare come to NYC. They think everyone gets shot and raped here. I guess it's just how the media puts everything out in the end. =/ Everyone needs to look at people as just people and not race. It's pointless really. Why can't we all love each other?! D:<<

goki said...

No, Boris, we haven't met before, I'm just following your blog. I found it through the 'planet go' aggregator.

Necrocter said...

Well I don't see the racism about the cartoon. I think a big problem of americans is that now everything looks bad if you made a funny cartoon or a racist joke if you are not from the race that you are joking about, it's just stupid I don't see the point that black people can say nigger between them but if you are white you are not allowed. Racism is more deep than just a word, cartoon or joke.

Sorry my english sucks :P

Go Stoodent said...

Its ok in the world Point of view, but I can't help at looking at things from an American perspective.

Do I find it offensive? No i think its pretty funny, but I know many people that would.

Israel RN said...

Ok, a little bit late but I wanted to add my two cents:

In my case, in Korea I was never asked if I was from America. This is quite possibly due to the fact that I'm not caucasic.

I don't think Koreans are any better at world's geography than most americans... Probably most of them tend to take a caucasic as an american.

Just like to many westerners, chinese, japanese and koreans all look the same. Or like to most americans, all the latinamerican people are "mexicans" or "hispanics". To be honest, you only can tell the difference if you know well that cultures which are actually pretty similar.

Since my look probably was kinda new to most of them, they usually just asked me "Where are you from?"

Only one very well educated lady asked me "Are you from India?" "nope" "So you must be from Mexico" "Yes, I am"... she only was confused because of my long beard, I was surprised that she could tell where I was from so easily.

Also a couple of times they actually thought that I understood korean just because I was distracted, and when they said "hello" to me, I answered back with a bow and sometimes also saying "hello".

I completely understand that is quite rude to find that someone is talking about you thinking that you are not listening, or that you don't understand the language. Yet, this happens in every country. Even with friends and family, let's be honest.

Finally, I disagree with USA's way of dealing with racial issues. Saying "african american", "native american", "little people" doesn't makes you more tolerant or an inclusive person. You can name some person "hispanic" but if you are thinking inside your head "fuck#%ng beaner" there is no real difference.

Words are just words, what really matters is the meaning. The same with drawings and logos. I don't find the Mr. Ink logo racist at all.