Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Students

In the past two weeks, I seem to have picked up 3 students.

One of them, MayhemFrank, I met on Godisscusions. Timothy president of Neon Sandwich, I met while walking in the park, and the Third, to whom I have so far only spoken to through e-mail, I do not know anything about.

My students all pay me, but in various ways. Mayhem teaches me secret strategies to a certain videogame, Timothy is supposed to read my future, and the third and I agreed to cash.

This brings me to my next point, is it wrong for me to take money for teaching? I feel a little guilty considering I am only 4 kyu right now, but I need money to eat while I am in Korea. My only income is about $100/weekly from the after school go program I run, and about 3 dollars a day I make from you guys clicking on the Ads on this page.

I enjoy teaching, but I need a hand, To the stronger readers of this Blog: any reccomended lesson plans?
So far lessons that I have set:

Rules
Two Eyes/why corners first
Various Escaping from situations problems
Keeping your stones connected/Your opponent disconnected.

Thats all for now, let me hear feedback, and if you want to support my Go studies refer to 4th paragraph.

4 comments:

Jason said...

Aptitude with Go and teaching ability are separate things.

The greatest boxing corner men in history have always been much better corner men than they were boxers in their day.

What will determine how much you can help your students is how good of a teacher you are.

Best of luck!

JasonE

FrankMayhem said...

If I had the money I'd pay you. D:

Andrew said...

I seem to correlate teaching with strength too, but there are a lot of professors in my university that know everything but are inept at teaching. You should ask all your colleagues at the NYGC and your students (people that know you at least slightly) about how much they think you're teaching is worth and how much they would be willing to spend.

Good luck!
Andrew

R.Kudryashov said...

Teaching helps you learn; to teach successfully, you must know what you are talking about and must be able to formulate it-- if you have a basic grasp of something and are asked to teach, it is a good chance to learn from yourself-- by articulating whatever it is you are articulating, you realize the flaws in your ideas, or see new things you have not seen before.

When I was asked to teach guitar, I started off just teaching songs, but as I taught more, I came to realize what exactly it is that one needs to play guitar, what the essence is, what theory is, etc.

So teach while you can-- it can't really hurt you, and if you are teaching at least a halfwhat right theory, then your students, as per the student-teacher contract, should be obliged to fullfill their half of the learning bargain and grow on their own to challenge you and your ideas. Win-win.

Plus you need money.