Monday, October 13, 2008

Hello, and Welcome

My name is Boris Bernadsky.

I am 19 years old,
and on December 9th I will fly away from New York to join the International Baduk Academy.

When people ask me what do I do I tell them I am a Go Player.

I began playing about 4 years ago at summer camp.

We did not have our own board so we made on out of clay (pieces) and a piece of linoleum (board)

I started a High School Go club that had about 20 regulars, somedays we had over 30 attendees.

After high school I kept playing, and Became involved with the New York Go Center. I started running tournaments, and doing small upgrades to the club.

We started selling equipment, books, and started a game analysis night. I organized for other clubs to come visit us. This September on my birthday I got promoted to Vice President of the Club.

Over the last summer I was incredibly lucky, as I convinced an after school/Summer camp program to let me teach Go instead of chess. So over the summer I had about 150 students that I taught to play the game.

I got lucky a second time because I was allowed to continue my program into the school year.

Currently I have about 20 students whom I see once a week (two classes)

Anyway....that's me. I Play Go, I teach Go, I promote Go.

(I also have a Girlfriend whom I absolutely love, and will marry one day who abhors the game.)

-Boris ~4k

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's awesome that you're teaching so many (especially young ones) Go. Best of luck to you and keep up the great work!

Semin John Lee / 이세민 said...

Wonderful pictures.

see you soon in seoul.

Go Stoodent said...

Thanks Setth.

FrankMayhem said...

So awesome. Now you have to post about your newest student who has the most potential ever!!!

lol just kidding.

Unknown said...

Hello,Boris.I am very happy to see your great activity about Go and our Go Center beautifully reborn.I hope to see you again. Hiroto Suzuki